I did an easy breasy update on some cast iron candle holders I found this week. They were $1.99/each - a total deal considering the old price tag was on one of them. Someone paid $33.95 for the pair or was that per candle holder?
They were dark and dreary with some interesting details. I thought I'd try painting them then doing a bit of shabby chic-ing.
Here they are in their 'before' state...
I primed then painted them off-white. Once the paint was dry, I sanded them down a bit. I made sure the metal came through...
Finally I added a layer of varathane and they were done!
I love easy updates that you start and finish within the day or even within hours!
The next project has been a little intense. I got this magazine rack ages ago. I had started to sand it then got 'distracted'. Well now I really want to get it done to go with my night table and soon to be refinished dresser.
I'm close to finishing this piece off. I'm going to tweek the painting next weekend then shabby chic it. Last but not least I'll update the drawer pulls. It's going to be pretty!
Stay tuned - next weekend will be big. I'm starting on the dresser next weekend, finishing off the magazine rack and even spray painting my metal cabinet.
I was going to scrape off the paint but I've decided to spray paint it with Krylon metallic paint - a matte aluminum. It should do the trick in record time (versus hours of scraping and probably using chemicals to remove the current paint).
I'm off to move... Today/tomorrow is not going to be fun but it'll be worth it! :-)