2.27.2010

Getting things done

Slowly but surely it's all coming together! Yesterday I went up to Sechelt and did a quick sweep of the 2 thrift shops - first to the St Mary's Thrift Store and then the Salvation Army Thrift Store. I really wanted another pillow to update for the kids rocking chair. Thankfully I found a pillow for $0.50! I just loved the turquoise chair with the accent pillow - the pillow definitely added some fun to the chair. And now I can do the same for the bright blue rocking chair.

This time I didn't recover it but was able to make a pillow cover for the form. I love using this piece of wool that I bought at Fabricland over a year ago - it's a gorgeous brownish colour that's perfect for felt applique work. I only have small remnants left but did manage to have enough for this pillow cover.

I had a minor mishap though... I cut out my pieces then worked on the felt applique. I used my machine to sew the pieces together then found it was uber tight so struggled to get the form in my cover. I ended up picking it apart and then did a buttonhole stitch using some bright floss around the edges. I think both pillows look fabulous and really the stitching is super fun - which is what you want for kids' stuff!

BEFORE

AFTER



A Quick and Dirty Update

I bought this frame last weekend for $1. I knew I wanted to paint it black to go with all of the other pieces I've been updating. The glass has a slight imperfection unfortunately but not a big deal since it was so cheap! Once it was painted, I gave some thought to what I should put in it.

I ended up scanning an old black and white photo of my parents. I sent it off to London Drugs for printing - it cost $1.50 for the print. Voila! I'm done...

BEFORE // AFTER

Project Update

Back in the summer, I bought these chairs for $5/each. I had some issues with the reupholstering so left them for a bit. Well they are DONE! Finally! I used the Ikea fabric from the drape I bought at the Salvation Army for $7. So far the drape has been used for 1 vanity seat, 1 seat, 2 chairs, 2 pillow covers - not too shabby!

BEFORE

AFTER



It's so nice to see projects getting done! :-)

4 comments:

  1. You are a busy an talented lady! I love the changes, everything is so much prettier. I totally think that stitch is perfect for those pilows too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anny! I am definitely keeping myself busy lately! And thankfully it's been sunny and dry out these days... I agree - the stitch using bright floss really looks great on the pillow updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of great things, you have been making! I enjoyed seeing each of them! Good job! You have motivated me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!! I'm hoping to get some serious sewing done this weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete