6.21.2009

Craft disasters and getting stuff done

Last weekend I had my first full-blown craft disaster! My main accomplishment last weekend was the pillow cover for my friend Heather - at least that went well. The other project was my wooden tray that I paid $2 for. I sanded and primed it then painted it lime green to go with the pink and green wallpaper. Once I added the wallpaper, after the hours of work I put into this project, I didn't like it at all. So I'm back to the beginning. I ripped off the wallpaper and started removing the paint. Argh... It was a big disappointment...

This weekend I wanted to get things done and I didn't have a lot of time to commit so I decided not to work on furniture refinishing since that's a black-hole when it comes to time. I worked on projects using the Danica placemats I bought a couple of weeks ago.

Project 1: I made a pillow cover to go on our free red vinyl couch. I really like this cover. It's within my usual cost range of $5. I paid $2 for the pillow form, $1 for the placemat then $2-3 for the black fabric for the back.



Project 2: I made coasters out of another placemat. They worked out well although the placement of the birds is off on a few. I tried to use as much of the placemat as possible so I ended up with 13 coasters, which cost maybe $3 in supplies. I found this great tutorial for the coasters on the blog The Sometimes Crafter - I didn't completely follow it but I definitely like how the stitching looks with the round cut out for the fabric.



I'm also working on more booties since my supply is dwindling and they're great for wasting time on the ferry...

Recent Thrift Store Finds...

I picked up this brass piece with wheels for $3 at the Good Stuff Connection Thrift Shop. I was going to leave it as is and maybe put a plant on it but then I thought I could even put a mirror in the middle and hang it. Or use it for a clock frame - that's if I can find something that will fit in the middle. Who knows...



2 comments: